19 Mart 2005 Cumartesi

Some favorite Firefox things

Some favorite Firefox things



Since it's a gloomy Saturday morning I'm sitting at my computer contemplating the good things about the Firefox browser.



  • Built in popup stopping. Say no more.



  • The Adblock extension. I've used it often enough now that it's stripping out a fair precentage of ads. Which in theory marginally increases speed since you're not downloading the ads. The trick is to tweak each entry: strip out the long, full file name and put a wild-card * right after whatever level directory has ad or advertising in the name.



  • ForecastFox. A weather bug that's not adware. You can set it to rotate through different places. Mine has the whole extended family; it's a neat little way to use the technology to feel connected knowing your brother has snow in Minnesota while you have drizzle in Iowa.



  • The Bookmarks Toolbar. For your absolute most important constant use links. Mine has my blog stats, Ping-O-Matic, the Technorati tag builder, and my bank, among others.



  • Tabs are easier to manage than multiple windows. Though I have noticed that if I've had the browser open for a LONG time - I'm a leave the computer on person and I'm talking about DAYS now - there tends to be a lot of memory in use. Right now I've got 60 meg in use, and two windows open. One is a Blog This! window. The other had three tabs open, and when I closed one tab the memory use didn't drop. That may just be an artifact of my user style. I often have as many as five tabs going.



  • And it's Non-Microsoft! Of course if I were really gutsy I'd dust off that Linux disk that's sat on my shelf for a year... either I'm chicken or too Microsoft Office addicted.



  • Hiç yorum yok:

    Yorum Gönder