25 Haziran 2004 Cuma

Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world

Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world



Sometimes you try to do the right thing and it blows up in your face.



On the way home I stopped by our library and was walking past the playground. I always walk on the playground foam because it feels good on my feet.



Sitting on the ground I saw a $5 bill all folded and wadded up. It had obviously been dropped by one of the kids that was hanging upside down. Now being a dad myself I know how upset a small child who lost $5 can be so I called out, in front of the kids and the many parents there, to ask if anyone lost some money.



I was screamed at by some woman who obviously assumed I was some kind of pervert.



I may not be perfect, I have made mistakes, some of them in very spectacular and public ways. But I believe - I hope - that I am a good and decent man.



Am I naive to think that people would understand my innocent and good intentions? Am I losing my faith in human nature?



Or am I foolish to try to keep that faith?



I took the five dollars and gave it to the library. I got a receipt and showed it to the angry mother. Because of some internal weakness I needed to prove that even though she thought I was a pervert, I wasn't a thief. Maybe I should have just been secure in the knowledge that I tried to do a good thing and that the misinterpretation was not my fault.



Part of me is sad that this woman has so much anger at me.



Unfortunately, part of me also hopes that it was one of her kids who lost the money and that she has to listen to the child cry about it. I guess that means I'm not perfect and my journey is not complete.



I've learned something here. I'm just not sure what yet.

1 yorum:

  1. Dude, in the league of humanity, you are in the Pro's. It sounds like this woman is on the JV squad. Now, I'm not saying this just because of this one incident. I'm very fortunate to have known you in 4 different decades. I've seen you commit some major gaffes, but I've seen you commit exponentialy more acts of selfless kindness and generocity. Even your gaffes were misguided, or misinterpreted acts of the heart. Don't beat yourself up for that my friend.

    You conclude with learning from this incident. It is said that a person learns from their mistakes, but the truely wise learn from the mistakes of others. I hope you realize that the mistake in this incident was committed by the woman who judged you based on a brief and misinterpreted incident.

    Finally, I know you live by the words on your website, but let me remind you of the one that immediately comes to mind:

    "The worst crime is faking it." Kurt Cobain

    Don't let anyone plant doubt in the path of your heart. You've risen above bigger challenges than this womens bitterness.

    Keep on keeping it real!

    YanıtlaSil