6 Ocak 2007 Cumartesi

Soldier home in time for birth

Soldier home in time for birth

Human interest from the front lines, and politicos will remember the name:

Glen Winekauf, 43, the vice president of support services and community relations at Mercy Hospital, has been in Afghanistan since June with the Iowa Army National Guard. He is assigned to the Newton-based 554th Quartermaster Battalion. His duties include training the Afghan National Army.

``I started working to schedule my leave for about a week before and a week after the due date so I could be home for our baby to be born,'' he said.

Tonja Winekauf, who is a nurse in the U.S. Army Reserves, said the pregnancy has been tough without her husband. However, she said the two have talked almost every night and chat on the weekends using a video Web camera.

``I don't sleep at night,'' Tonja Winekauf said. ``Because I'm in the military, I kind of know more than the average person does about what can happen. I probably worry more than a lot of people do.''


Glen worked for Tom Harkin and in 1994 ran against Jim Leach in the old 1st District. Best wishes to Tonja and Glen...

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder