24 Eylül 2004 Cuma

Why tilt at a windmill? Because.

Don Quixote was always my guy, champion of windmill tilting. The grand futile gesture that somehow NEEDS to be done, even when the chances of victory are nil, is priceless.







If you look at the map you see that there's a lot of states that just aren't flashing. In the polarized America of 2004, birds of a feather are flocking together more than ever and there is less and less competition. We swing staters are getting all the love, while the rest are left out.



So if you're in, say, a Big Red state, why even bother? Isn't it just a futile gesture?



Yes. It IS a futile gesture. And its's important to do in part BECAUSE it's a great, grand, futile gesture.



Because in doing so you are saying NO.



No. I do not approve of the direction of this country. No. I do not believe in this war. No. I do not believe in the divine right of kings or the inherent right of the rich or the self-appointed holy to control our lives. No. You will not do this with my approval but with my explicit opposition.



And you are saying YES.



YES, I believe we can do better than we are. YES. I can see hope even if we can't win today or tomorrow or for ten years.



It's less risky than standing down a tank on Tiananmen Square but it's just as right. Tilt at that windmill.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder