15 Mayıs 2008 Perşembe

VP Hillary Forced on Obama?

VP Hillary Forced on Obama?

Two must reads in Real Clear Politics today.

  • "If Clinton Wants VP, Obama Can't Stop Her," writes Bob Beckel:
    Almost all super delegates have had a long history with the Clintons. Can you imagine how hard it was for most of these super delegates to turn down the former president of the United States? Just consider for a moment the final phone call with Bill Clinton when the super delegate had to tell him he or she had decided to go with Obama. Clinton," It's time to make a decision. Hillary needs you and I need you. We've been through a lot together. When you needed me I was there, now we need you".

    Super delegate: "Mr. President, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I'm going with Obama because (whatever). Ask me for anything else Mr. President, but I've got to do this".

    Bill Clinton: "I'm very disappointed and personally hurt, but do what you think you have to do. So long."

    Now imagine its June 4th and Clinton calls again. Clinton, "I know Obama has enough votes to win, but I wanted you to know Hillary has decided to run for vice president at the convention. You know there are two roll call votes at the convention: first president then for vice president. I know you are voting for Obama for president. Fine, but I want your commitment to vote for Hillary for vice president."

    You imagine being on the floor in Denver. Hillary's delegates, NEARLY HALF THE DELEGATES, are demanding she be on the ticket. These are true believers who have stuck with Clinton through thick and thin. To them, putting Hillary on the ticket is a crusade.

    Most Clinton delegates are women, most Democratic voters are women, and they're going to just accept some middle aged white governor that Obama is rumored to want? No way. They are in your face. Hillary supporters from back home are jamming your Blackberry. This and more horror scenes flash through your mind in a nano second.

    Beckel thinks this scenario plays out in phone calls like this, rather than a floor fight. I don't like it, but I can see it.

    But this one I don't see: Tom Bevan says Clinton's Biggest Mistake was not bringing up Jeremiah Wright two weeks before Iowa. I think Chris Matthews and I are in agreement on what her biggest mistake really was: "The reason she's not going to be the nominee is she made a bad calculation supporting the war resolution."

    Or, as she put it herself: "If the most important thing to any of you is choosing someone who did not cast that vote or has said his vote was a mistake, then there are others to choose from."
  • Hiç yorum yok:

    Yorum Gönder